The in-office Zoom® whitening system, as seen on TV’s Extreme Makeover, is a popular tooth whitening procedure. It is effective and very fast! In about two hours, your teeth will be dramatically whiter. Dr. Goldstein is very familiar with this treatment, and he has used it in the past. But he prefers another method that quickly gets your teeth just as white—if not whiter—than Zoom.
How Does Zoom Work?
The whitening agent in Zoom and other professional-strength bleaching gels is peroxide. Peroxide gel gently penetrates teeth and releases oxygen to break up stains and discolorations, leaving your teeth permanently whiter. Not only does it remove stains that have been absorbed by your teeth over the years, it will whiten the natural pigment in your teeth to a shade that is brighter than the whitest natural color – whiter than they have ever been.
Why Is an Alternative Needed?
A Zoom light is used to active the whitening gel and increase its effectiveness. Dr. Goldstein and other cosmetic dentists have found that use of the light dries out your teeth and makes them more sensitive than usual after whitening treatment. He prefers Opalescence® Boost. It makes your smile just as bright, if not brighter than Zoom. The process of applying Boost is similar to Zoom, but the gel is chemically activated, so a light isn’t needed. Your teeth won’t be dried out or extra sensitive.
Before you receive a whitening treatment, Dr. Goldstein will determine if you are a candidate for it. If so, he will ensure your teeth are clean and free of decay. After that, the process is simple:
- We will retract your cheeks and rinse and dry your teeth.
- Your gums will be coated with a protective gel that will be hardened. It’s a barrier that prevents irritation from the bleaching gel.
- Boost will be applied to your teeth. It will remain on your teeth for 20 minutes to penetrate the surface and break down stains. The gel will be suctioned off, and one or two additional bleaching sessions can be completed to achieve the shade you want. Unlike Zoom, no whitening light is needed.
- The gel will be rinsed off, and you’ll be amazed at the brilliance of your smile. It will be as brilliantly white, if not whiter than it would be with Zoom.
- Over the next day or so, your teeth will continue to get whiter. After a few days, the color of your teeth will stabilize. You can decide if the shade is just right, or if you want to return to our office to repeat the treatment.
A Sparkling Smile without the Drying Effects of Zoom
If you’re interested in getting a sparkling smile without the drying and sensitivity in your teeth that Zoom causes, contact our office. Call us, or request an appointment online.